Thursday 8 November 2012

Souk Photos


There are a few more photographs from my day at the souk than the ones I included in my previous post that I would like to share. So, here they are:

This young Saudi was really ticking me off, because he kept passing in front of my camera while I was trying to take a picture. This happened a few times, until at some point he turned slightly towards me and muttered "Speak Arabic??" as he walked by me. I guess he wanted to hit on me or something. Apparently foreign girls get this a lot. Anyhow, I caught his back accidentaly in this shot and it turned out to be one of my favorite pictures, so maybe I should even be grateful.

 These are prayer rugs, decorated with verses from the Quran. A local man was selling them along with books on Islam. When I asked if I could take a picture of his display he agreed willingly, but made sure to get out of the picture. Locals generally feel uncomfortable in front of a photographic lense, and may even show hostile behaviour towards a photographer, so it is crucial to be discreet.

 
A young woman shows her colorful sleeve under the abaya.



One of the souk's many small alleyways flanked by crumbling buildings.


I just love how shopkeepers display their merchandise.

 
A few Saudi men conversing, a pair walking hand in hand and, of course, one toe-picker!


 Spices everywhere!


 
Men like him will carry your shopping for you for as little as 5 SRs. That's about 1€.


 
I'm a bit embarassed to admit I don't have a clue as to what these buildings are exactly. Probably mosques. I was just impressed by their authentic Arabic architecture.


 That's Bassam, perhaps the friendliest, and certainly most persuasive, salesman I have ever met. The dude could sell ice to an Eskimo! He was nice enough to give me the pashmina I'm wearing in the picture for free as well :)



No comments:

Post a Comment