Sunday 31 March 2013

Ma'a salama Saudi!

So, this is the last post from Jeddah. Originally, I was meant to stay for about 6 months or so, but it seems that 4 is my limit. In all honesty, Saudi Arabia is a challenging place to live in, especially if you are young, western and female. I guess that now that it's behind me, it's time to evaluate the experience.
It's not something I could just label as "good" or "bad". Very few things are like that, anyway. Being in Saudi Arabia took me light years out of my comfort zone. From the moment I set foot in Jeddah, I had to adapt to a completely alien lifestyle, one that I probably would have never even imagined existed, had my family not been confronted with it. It's quite odd living within, and yet completely apart from, a society as secretive as Saudi's. Before arriving, I had hoped to get some serious insight into Saudi Arabia's culture and society, but, in the end, I barely got a glimpse of it. Even though I left the confines of the compound as often as possible and was surrounded by these people, they remained completely shrouded in their blacks and mystery. It doesn't have much to do with the fact that I only stayed for 4 months. You could spend a lifetime in Saudi Arabia as an expat and never enter a local household. That's just the way it is, and it was a pretty big disappointment for me.
Despite the many challenges, I think I managed to make the best of it. I used all this excess free time to indulge in activities I probably wouldn't have had much time for in "real life". I experienced living in a unique cultural environment and gained plenty of perspective from it. I learnt to cope with the most frustrating rules and restrictions with a dose of humour. And I came home with a bunch of great anecdotes. Not a complete waste of 4 months I would say...
The three things I will miss most from Saudi Arabia are my family, the diving and Hellenic Hijab. I had a great time working on this blog and I wrap it up with a sense of loss. Perhaps I'll write a post or two on one of my future visits to Saudi, but this is officially the end of Hellenic Hijab. A big thank you to all the people who subscribed to me, and anyone who took the time to read even one post. Hope you all enjoyed it as much as I have :)

.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Irene,
    Your blog gave me the best preparation I could have for my visit to Jeddah. I'm very glad that friend of mine recommended me this blog and I hope that you will continue writing (not just blogging). I really enjoyed reading your blog and I think it would be the same with your book sometime in the future.
    Alla ysalmak,
    Borko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Borko, thank you so much for your lovely comment :) Knowing that my blog has proven useful to someone makes me extremely happy! I hope you enjoy your time in Jeddah...it's really an eye-opening experience ;)
      Assalamu Aalaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh!

      Delete
  2. I have just found your blog after returning from my first visit to Jeddah. I wish I had seen it earlier! You have a lovely writing style, full of interesting detail, that really conveys your feelings. It was fascinating to hear of a woman's perspective about life in Saudi - very different to my (male) view. By the way, I think we went to the same fish restaurant in Dhabhan - Sultana's. I will have to visit Bahrain when I go back - insha'allah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for checking out Hellenic Hijab, glad you enjoyed it :) I don't even remember what the fish restaurant was called, but there are many similar one's in that area. Good luck on your next trip to the Middle-East!

    ReplyDelete